Primal Sunflower Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed and then chiffonade them
- ½ cup shelled salted sunflower seeds (raw or toasted) or nuts of choice (if tolerated)
- ¼ cup coconut oil + 2 tablespoons olive oil or oil of choice
- 1 glove garlic or ½ teaspoon gluten-free asafoetida (a common Indian spice-beware it often contains wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or to taste
- ½ teaspoon seasalt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons water, as needed
- Dairy-free, soy-free Parmesan cheese optional
- Sprigs of fresh basil
1. Combine basil, sunflower seeds, oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse until leaves are incorporated into mixture and seeds are ground. Add water a tablespoon at a time, if needed, to help mix ingredients.
2. Serve immediately over your favorite gluten-free spaghetti or noodles or zucchini noodles. Garnish with cooked zucchini, artichoke hearts, sun dried tomatoes, and pitted calamata olives.
Pesto will darken naturally if allowed to stand too long or when kept in the refrigerator. Reduce this oxidation by storing it in a glass jar with a thin layer of oil over the pesto.