Paleo Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head of cauliflower (leaves removed, keep and use stalks in this recipe)
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil or ghee, or olive oil-I tend to cook with coconut or ghee and drizzle after cooking with olive 1-2 clove of garlic, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Variation: cracked black pepper, not technically gut repair
Variation: Substitute the parsley for basil or cilantro to combine with various dishes that will benefit from basil vs parsley flavor. If you use basil please chiffinade it, this is when you stack the individual leaves, roll them up and chop so you end up with long streamers of basil. This avoids bruising it and maintains it’s flavor.
Variation: Saute an onion with the oil then add the garlic
Variation: Saute 1⁄2-1 cup chopped celery to oil before adding the cauliflower
1. Cut the cauliflower into florets and place in steamer. When soft enough to pierce with a fork, (keep al dente) not soggy, cool slightly then add to food processor. Use a food processor to pulse the steamed cauliflower until it is the texture of rice. (You may have to do this in a couple of batches.) Don’t over process or you will get cauliflower mashed potatoes, which are nice but not what we are aiming for. Place the cauliflower in a medium bowl and set aside.
2.Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds being careful not to burn the garlic.
3. Add the cauliflower into the pan and stir fry for 7-10 minutes, until tender.
4. Add the parsley, the sea salt (and optional cracked black pepper) to taste.
You may add other sauces to the rice, serve with chicken, Moroccan lamb, Indian dishes, the sky is the limit.