Fish Tacos with Cream Sauce on Lettuce Wrap
This delicious fish taco recipe can be both gut repair friendly or a transitional recipe because it contains soaked cashews, but you can omit them if you are doing gut repair, or still include them if you desire. You could also omit the soaked cashews and increase the avocados by 1 and add ½ cup of full fat coconut milk or coconut cream to make the sauce.
- 1/4 purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 small jicama, peeled and grate
- 1 shredded carrot
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- Juice of 4 limes
- 1 head romaine or butter lettuce, washed and separated
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil
- 1 1/2 pounds grouper, snapper or mahi mahi, or other white fish
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, sliced or diced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or chipotle (optional)
Avocado Cream Sauce
- 1/4 cup soaked cashews (omit for gut repair and replace with ½ cup full fat coconut milk)
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt water to blend 2 ripe avocados (add 1 more avocado if you are omitting the cashews)
Option: (Not Gut Repair Friendly for the First 2-4 Months)
- 1 Jalapeño
- Start by preparing all of the vegetables. In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage, jicama, shredded carrot, and cilantro. In a medium bowl, toss the vegetables with the lime juice. Set aside.
- Chop the fish into bite-sized pieces and place it in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, garlic powder and cayenne or chipotle if desired. Sprinkle the spice mix evenly over the fish and set it aside to allow it to marinate while you make the Avocado Cream Sauce.
- Add the cashews (or coconut milk and extra avocado), lime juice, garlic, salt and jalapeño (optional) to a high-powered blender and blend well, adding only enough water to facilitate blending. Add the avocados and puree. Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the grapeseed oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil and then the fish. Cover and cook 5–7 minutes, stirring every few minutes to ensure the fish is cooked on all sides. Remove the fish and put in a serving bowl.
- To construct the tacos, start with a lettuce leaf, add the fish and veggie toppings, and finish with avocado cream sauce. Serve warm.