Caramelized Fennel Salad
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- zest from ½ orange
- 5-10 depending on size and your preferences, approximately 2 heaping tablespoons- fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons ghee or avocado oil or coconut oil for cooking
- 1 clove garlic-crushed (optional)
- Sea Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl whisk together a light dressing of olive oil, Dijon mustard, orange zest, optional crushed garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
2. Chop fennel bulb into 1 inch pieces. Save the fennel tops for bone broth or chicken stock
3. In a large skillet, with a tight-fitting lid, heat cooking oil over medium-high. Add fennel, and season with coarse salt and ground pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook 5 to 7 minutes. Uncover, add 1 tablespoon water, and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown and soft, 2 minutes. Remove from stove.
4. While fennel is cooking, chiffonade the mint leaves, if they are too tiny then just add them whole- see #5
5. Place fennel in a serving bowl, drizzle with the dressing and top with fresh mint leaves
Serve warm with a protein or serve a top a bed of fresh or lightly steamed greens.