- 1 butternut squash (medium size or two small ones), Don’t peel, wash well, seed and cube.
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2-4 cups chicken or veggie broth depending on how large your
- squash is you may need more
- 1-2 large apple (fuji or gala or granny smith best)
- 1-2 can coconut milk (found in the Thai section of grocery store) amount you add depends on how large your squash is and if you desire left-overs
- 1-2 inches fresh ginger root, peeled and diced salt and pepper to taste chopped parsley to garnish
Cook squash, onion and ginger in broth. Broth should just touch most of the squash, not be completely submerged. Cook until squash is almost tender. Add apple and cook another 5 minutes or so. Puree in Vita-mix or food processor. You may have to do this in batches depending on the quantity you are preparing. Return puree to soup pot, add the can of coconut milk, salt and pepper and heat on high for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, then turn the heat off. Serve garnished with freshly chopped parsley.