Apricot And Thyme Baked Chicken
- 4 pounds pastured, organic chicken, breast or thighs or a combination of each
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 3-4 leeks finely chopped-skin
- 2 cups or 9 ounces dried, sulfur-free apricots, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh or dried powdered Thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ lemon worth of zest, grate the outside skin of ½ lemon
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped 1 cup white wine or omit if you don’t have (the alcohol cooks off)
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock or water increase a little if you don’t have wine
- These are not gut repair friendly so may be enjoyed after you’ve completed the gut repair program
- 1 cup soaked and dehydrated pecans, chopped-skin
- Freshly grated nutmeg to taste, about ¼ teaspoon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Heat coconut or olive oil in sauce pan on moderate heat, add leaks, and cook for 10 minutes or until soft.
3. Stir in chopped apricots, (optional pecans), thyme, salt, pepper, (optional nutmeg), zest and parsley. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. You can keep it chunky or you can add to food processor with ½ cup broth and ½ cup wine, more liquid may be required to make the sauce, add a little at a time until desired consistency is reached. If you use the entire cup of wine and broth then omit the first part of step number 4 below. Depending on the size of your food processor you may need to do this in batches.
4. Place chicken in roasting pan and pour in remainder of white wine and broth. Next add leak and apricot mixture (either chunky or sauce) on top of chicken.
5. Bake covered in oven for 1-1 ½ hours or until chicken is fully cooked.
Serve with steamed broccoli or any green vegetable of your choice.